latest:

We Take Care Of Our Own

Posted on 19 January 2012 by Caryn Rose (6)

STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS:

• I hear a sax in my head instead of Nils in the intro. (Is it Nils? I don’t know. WOULD LOVE SOME ACTUAL CREDITS, so I knew who was playing what. Big downside to downloading. We’ll have them in the morning.
  • I almost wish it was less pop and more of a barn burner with more electric guitar and less strings, but obviously we have no idea what this will sound like live.
  • I like the piano, a lot. I like the other textural effects a lot less.
  • I get the “angry” part – he’s saying, “this is what’s supposed to happen, and isn’t happening”
  • This is going to be an interesting record to hear on tour in Europe.
  • The bridge is absolutely killer and redeems any shortfalls I think I hear right now.
  • This will be the most misappropriated/misinterpreted song he’s released since BITUSA. (Please leave your flags at home on tour, or at least don’t stand in front of me if you feel the need to wave them during this song.)
  • Overall, I like it, am less worried about the record as a whole, and far less worried about the fact that I’d already bought tickets to 7 shows without having heard one note of the album.

More later. Full Wrecking Ball review now available.

Where’s the eyes, the eyes with the will to see
Where’s the hearts that run over with mercy
Where’s the love that has not forsaken me
Where’s the work that’ll set my hands, my soul free
Where’s the spirit that’ll rain rain over me
where’s the promise from sea to shining sea
where’s the promise from sea to shining sea

Enjoyed this post? Consider signing up for my monthly newsletter.

Tags:

6 Responses to “We Take Care Of Our Own”

1. Eileen Brokaw says:

“This will be the most misappropriated/misinterpreted song he’s released since BITUSA. (Please leave your flags at home on tour, or at least don’t stand in front of me if you feel the need to wave them during this song.)”
    Exactly my thoughts last night.
    I like how muscular the opening is. The rhythm is too similar to so much of what he’s done from The Rising on. Love the lyrics.

2. Paolo says:

Ireland, Norway, Sweden ?

3. clr says:

Paris, Prague, Vienna, London, Dublin!

4. Rose says:

I’m trying to like it. I’ve listened to it at least 10 times now and it completely loses me about a minute in every damn time.

There’s a certain type of production that many “popular” bands employ (whom I’ll not mention in the same thought as Springsteen) that is so slick that my brain just seems to slide off of it. It’s like air, nothing to hang on to. This song has it in spades. I hope the whole album isn’t like this, although my hopes aren’t high.

That said, the lyrics are great, and I’m sure it will kill live.

5. Dennis says:

I listened to the song a couple of dozen times today. I hear the anger and what I think is the primary message that everyone hears but I also hear a call to action. This is definitely a patriotic song — not the flag waving kind but the kind that reminds us that everyone is part of “We” and we all have a stake in making things better and are all responsible for taking care of each other.

Does this stand out to anyone else?
    We Take Care = WTC (World Trade Center)
    Wherever This Flag = WTF

It’s like the song is saying “what the f*ck, after 9/11 everyone pulled together and then everything fell apart.” People feel beaten down (good hearts turned to stone) to thinking “what’s the point” (calvary staying home). We are supposed to be better than this WTF.

Maybe I listened too many times but the WTC and WTF thing stuck out to me.

6. clr says:

Bruce doesn’t strike me as the conspiracy theory type. :-)